The following Will Help Your Day of Surgery Go Smoothly:
Make sure you complete any pre-op testing or medical consults ordered by your surgeon or Primary Care Provider.
Please request that any pre-op testing and medical consult notes be faxed to your Surgeon’s office AND to the CPH Pre-Op department fax: (315) 261-5037.
Reminder: You will be called the day prior to your surgery with your check-in time (on Friday for surgery scheduled on Mondays). If you have not heard from us by 4:00 p.m., please call us directly at (315) 261-5975.
Make arrangements for an adult to drive you home/stay with you after your surgery (we cannot perform the surgery otherwise). Make child care arrangements for your children for the full day of surgery.
Contact your surgeon’s office if your condition has changed (cold, fever, rash, other illness or if there is any possibility of pregnancy). The day of surgery, women of childbearing age will be asked to provide a urine specimen for a pregnancy test.
Expect to spend the better part of the day at the hospital for some surgeries.
- Do not eat anything after midnight, including hard candy.
- You may have CLEAR liquids until 4 hours prior to your check-in time. Clear liquids include: water, apple juice, clear tea, black coffee.
- DO NOT USE MILK OR CREAM.
- Please drink water until 4 hours prior to check-in. It is important to keep yourself well-hydrated prior to your surgery.
Help prevent infection by doing the following:
- Use the pre-surgical antiseptic wipes or shower kit as instructed (if you were given them).
- If you were not given any wipes please bathe/shower before arriving.
- Do not apply lotion.
- Do not shave near or at the surgical site at home unless instructed to do so.
- Do not wear make-up, nail polish, jewelry (including watches, earrings, rings, temporary tattoos, or piercings/accessories).
- Wash hands frequently with soap and warm water, and insist that caregivers do likewise.
- Wear loose fitting clothing or pajamas:
-Shirt/top with front closure for face, head or shoulder surgery.
-Shirt/top with loose sleeves for hand or arm surgery.
-Loose pants to allow for a big bandage for knee or foot surgery.
Bring the following with you:
- Your insurance card and driver license.
- List of medications.
- Case for storing your glasses/contact lenses, dentures, or hearing aids (these will be removed before surgery).
- Court or guardianship paper work.
- Cpap/Bipap machine.
- If you have a Living Will or Health Care Proxy, please bring a copy with you for your chart.
Please DO NOT bring any valuables.
Follow any additional instructions from your surgeon or primary care provider.
- Take your regular medicine for high blood pressure, heart, seizure problems, depression or anxiety, with sips of water, as directed by your surgeon or primary care practitioner.
- If you are on any blood thinners such as Aspirin, Plavix, Warfarin, Coumadin, Xarelto, Pradaxa please confirm with your surgeon or Primary Care Provider on whether you may continue taking them prior to your procedure.
- If you are on ORAL diabetic medicine, do NOT take it on the day of your procedure, unless told to do so by your doctor. Please check with your doctor regarding any insulin adjustments.
You May Call (315) 261-5332 With Any Pre-op Questions.
DAY OF SURGERY: Parking and Checking-In
- Parking is available in the main lot of the 50 Leroy Street facility. Free valet parking is available from 6 a.m. to 4 p.m. daily.
- Checking-In: Enter main doors and take ramp to the Registration area found at the bottom of the ramp to the right.
If you need to contact us:
Ambulatory/Day Surgery: (315) 261-5975 FAX: (315) 261-6440
Pre-op/surgery area: (315) 261-5332 FAX: (315) 261-5037
Pre-registration: (315) 261-5053
Hospital Switchboard: (315) 265-3300 www.cphospital.org